New parents don’t always get the time to enjoy family life due to their busy schedules, so they ought to make the most of the moment when a holiday arrives.
It’s important to find the perfect place for parents, babies and tots alike though, to avoid the getaway becoming more stressful than you’d have planned. Babythingz, a leading double buggy supplier in the UK, is here to help. They have listed the top child-friendly holiday destinations to inspire you on where to jet off to in the weeks and months to come…
Don’t think that you must go abroad for your next family holiday mind, as the UK is a safe bet as it cuts down on travelling times — ideal if your baby becomes easily aggravated or fussy when they have to sit still. So, how about Cornwall? The Cornish coast in south-west England has a pleasantly warm climate and is one of the country’s most beautiful, peaceful and exciting spots.
There’s a collection of cottages in relatively secluded parts of the region available to book. These are ideal for young families that have crying babies or playful and loud toddlers! Try to go for accommodation that offers you and your family space but is still within walking distance to activities to keep children entertained — like the beach. In Cornwall, you can visit Newquay Zoo and the Minack Theatre, which is based in Porthcurno and features comedy puppet shows for kids.
Scottish west coast
The Scottish coast is another amazing place to go for a holiday without leaving the UK. Just be aware that it may offer a slightly cooler climate than Cornwall! Visit here, and you’ll have your choice of child-friendly hotels and quiet chalets to choose from.
Infants and older children alike will surely love the west coast of Scotland. You don’t have to head abroad for beautiful beaches — the Scottish west coast is peppered with gorgeous coastlines. Head to Sanna Bay, which features white sand and turquoise water, or take a family cycling trip to take in the incredible landscape of Glencoe.
You’ll be hard pressed to find a youngster who doesn’t enjoy Disney. Although this destination may be best suited to kids around three years old and over, all children will enjoy the colours, lights and characters of Disneyland Paris. Plus, you have a collection of great, family-friendly Disney hotels to stay in, which will make travelling to and from the park much less stressful!
The destination is only a short journey by air from the UK as well. This makes it a great holiday choice if you’re travelling with babies or excitable toddlers. At Disneyland Paris, you have a wide selection of shows, rides and attractions designed to captivate and entertain babies, toddlers and adults. Wander through Wonderland at Alice’s Curious Labyrinth, go up in the air on Dumbo the Flying Elephant, enjoy the bouncing Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin ride, or book to meet Mickey Mouse himself!
If you’re confident that your baby or toddler can handle a two-and-a-half to three hours flight on a plane, treat your family to a holiday overseas and head to the popular Portuguese region of the Algarve.
There are so many child-friendly hotels and resorts to choose from across the Algarve, not to mention activities that will suit both newborn babies and toddlers. Lots of waterparks can be found around the area featuring sections for babies too, although we recommend choosing some of the calmer towns that may better suit your young family — such as Praia de Luz, Cascais and Alvor.
Tenerife is another fantastic choice if you reckon your young child will be fine on a flight that will take a few hours. After a four to five-hour flight, you’ll land on one of the most popular islands in the Canaries and a place where there’s no time difference — no need to spend time and effort getting your little one adjusted to a normal sleeping pattern!
On-site childcare is available at many hotels throughout Tenerife too, so there’s even the option for you and your partner to enjoy some time as a couple while away. Alternatively, you can all take a scenic walk up Mount Teide or give a few organised water-sports a go. Tenerife has a fantastic climate for children as well — not too hot, little rain and practically no humidity, which will make sleeping easier.
Things to remember when travelling with young children
Bear in mind that the trip just to get to and from a car can be challenging when you’re carrying a baby or toddler. So, what can you do to make travelling on holiday less of an ordeal? Here are a few tips:
- Give yourself plenty of time: if you’re late, you’ll stress yourself out and a fussy child will only add to the anxiety. So, start your holiday on a positive note by setting off early.
- Have plenty of toys on hand: from the car ride to the airport to the plane journey itself, make sure you pack your child’s essentials — toys and games. Preferably, opt for quiet games that are best suited for public transport.
- Think luggage: packing all the essentials for a baby or toddler can add a lot of extra weight to your luggage, so cut down where you can by opting for a lightweight buggy and travel-sized toys and sanitary products.
- Check your booking: make sure you verify that the hotel is child-friendly with plenty of amenities for kids.
- Comforts: don’t forget the little things that soothe your baby, like their favourite soft toy, blanket or even type of food. They may just help calm them down during long car rides.
- Be careful with baby food and milk: you can carry baby milk and baby food through airport security in containers over 100ml, so make sure you prepare this before setting off.
- Check in online: minimise the airport hassle by checking in over your laptop or phone prior to your day of travel.
- Discuss the journey: if this is the first time your child is taking a long-distance journey, make the event seem positive and exciting by chatting them through what will happen — this may make them less apprehensive, especially if you’re flying.
With a few top destinations for new families picked out and a variety of tips on how to make travelling with young children less stressful, hopefully you’ve been encouraged to take that dream family holiday!