In a Nutshell
Whatever you are looking for from your city break in the UK, London will be sure to meet your needs! With so much to do, a London city break is perfect for both couples and families with something for everyone! Attractions, museums, world-famous sights, shopping, the Thames, vast parks and much more make London an unrivalled city break. London is home to the queen, Houses of Parliament, acres of open parks and an iconic river that runs through the heart of the city. You can see enough in one day to feel like you have “seen” London or you can spend a week there and explore the city in a very different way; some of the Breaks.com team have lived in London for years and still find gems to enjoy every week! Whatever you choose or your schedule dictates, this city will not let you down.
Things to see and do:
A London city break would not be complete without seeing the major sights of the capital city and you’ll be surprised with how much you can see in such a short time. The sightseeing hit list and the nearest tube stations:
- London Eye (Waterloo tube station. Waterloo & City, Bakerloo and Northern lines)
- Buckingham Palace (Green Park tube station. Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria lines)
- Tower of London (Tower Hill tube station. Circle and District lines)
- Tower Bridge (same as Tower of London but also close to London Bridge tube station. Jubilee and Northern lines)
- Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross tube station. Northern and Bakerloo lines. Also close to Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square stations)
- St Pauls Cathedral (St Pauls tube station. Circle line)
- Big Ben & the Houses of Parliament (Westminster tube station. Circle, District and Jubilee lines)
Part of the magic of London is that you will be able to see all of these sights by boat if you wish. There are numerous Thames river boat tour providers in London but we suggest you look at the Thames Clipper service and City Cruises for the most comprehensive, affordable and comfortable Thames trip experiences. You can take in all the sights for less than £10 while enjoying a cruise through the heart of England’s capital city.
Music concerts, theatre and events in London:
As a cultural hub, London has many music concerts, theatre shows and other events every day. If you want to take in some music while on your city break in London then Songkick is a good place to start. Enter the dates of when you plan to be in London and Songkick will give you a detailed list of events that are on in London from major gigs to small concerts.
If you need some inspiration then check out our London event calendar for city breaks:
One of the most famous venues is the O2 Arena in Greenwich (formally named the Millennium Dome) and it attracts world-class acts throughout the year. You can find a complete list of upcoming events at the O2 Arena London on their online calendar. If you plan to visit the arena, you can access it via the tube or on the Thames Clipper boat service that goes from central London to the east where the O2 Arena is situated. This is the perfect way to arrive at the impressive venue and an experience you won’t forget; pre-book a champagne experience to make the trip even more special!
If you are looking to stay near the O2 arena then there are a handful of hotels you can stay in. The most impressive is the Intercontinental London – The O2, Greenwich Peninsula, London, United Kingdom which is a 5 star hotel with 453 impressive rooms with 24 hour room service and is just a few minutes walk from the O2 arena.
If you are looking to take in to some theatre while on your London city break then the famous West End is the place to go! The Lion King, Wicked, Les Misérables, Mamma Mia and many more internationally renowned theatre shows are on in London 7 days a week. You can see the full show listings on our London West End Theatre booking site that will show you the times and best prices for upcoming performances.
Where to stay:
Staying in London can be expensive compared to other cities in the UK so save yourself lots of money by using our hotel deal search below:
- The Park Plaza London Waterloo, Waterloo, London, United Kingdom is perfectly situated at the end of Waterloo bridge, a stones throw away from Big Ben, House of Parliament, London Eye and many other attractions in the city. This incredible hotel has world-class amenities and state-of-the-art rooms will make sure your trip is as comfortable as it can be! Waterloo is the busiest train station in the UK and is perfect for visitors who want to effortlessly get around the city. Get the best price for the Park Plaza at Waterloo using the free comparison tool here.
- If you are on a tighter budget but want to benefit from a great location, the Z Hotel chain are a great option. Z Hotels have hotels in key parts of the city, most notably Soho and Shoreditch which are both popular spots for tourists and locals alike. The , London is an ideal base to explore the vibrant eastern area of London that is famous for Box Park shopping, street food and markets. This hotel will also connect you to the rest of London through Liverpool Street station and Aldgate tube services. You can get amazing rates on the Z Hotel and the best prices can be viewed here.
- Our final pick is something a bit different. The Studios 2 Let Apartments London, Kings Cross, London offer apartment style accommodation near the transport hub of Kings Cross at a price that is hard to rival! With a 24-hour concierge service, private bathrooms and situated just minutes away from transport that will take you wherever you want in the city, the Studios2Let apartments at Kings Cross make a great base for a busy city break. Get the best prices on this hotel here.
Where to eat and drink:
All visitors to London are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining and drinking options. From rooftop bars and Michelin star restaurants to exquisite street food and cosy pubs, London has it all. Start your day with a traditional English breakfast at the Breakfast Club in Soho if you want to immerse yourself in the arguably the best meal that the country has to offer! You can see other highly rated English breakfast cafes and restaurants on this page.
Rivalling the full English breakfast is the Sunday Roast. Beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, a couple of types of vegetables and topped off with a serving of gravy will warm you on even the coldest of winter days. Pubs all over the city will serve a roast on a Sunday but the quality varies a lot so it is important to find the right pub or restaurant. Here are 3 to consider:
- Hawksmoor. They have locations in Spitafields, Borough and Knightsbridge that serve up some of the best roast dinners in town. The roast dinner will set you back £21 per person so it is certainly at the higher end of the market but the plate of food you are presented with reflects that. It is important to book to avoid disappointment as all of their restaurants are popular. If you are looking to treat yourself, head to The Hawksmoor.
- The Brown Cow. Head to south-west London if you are looking for a traditional pub setting with attentive service and mouth-watering roasts. You will find newspapers, well-heeled locals and smiling staff as you walk in to this unassuming looking pub in Parsons Green. There is a new menu every day but you can see some samples on their website.
- Roast. The name says it all, they do roasts and do them very well! Located on the famous borough market, Roast lives up to its name and you can watch traders and tourists navigate through the market while enjoying your traditional dinner. See more about what they have on offer and book a table here.
- If you are looking for a bar with a spectacular view then look no further than Radio Rooftop Bar. Situated near the Strand, this high-end bar offers breath taking views across the city and a great photo opportunity! Be prepared to pay over the odds for your drinks though and dress to impress as trainers are not allowed. For a quiet pint in a relaxing setting then make your way to a Draft House pub. This small chain have great beers on tap, a simple cocktail menu and a good wine list at all of their handful of locations.
You can find exclusive food and drink offers on the Happiour app to save some pennies while exploring new places.