There is a new insurance provider on the market! What a breath of fresh air to finally have a company that helps you make the tiresome task of getting travel insurance. Let’s be honest, taking out travel insurance is not the most fun part of your holiday… But with Pluto, buying your travel insurance is as easy as can be.
We’ve written a guide with everything you need to know about Pluto Insurance (including great deals to save you some pennies!)
In this guide you will read about:
- What is Pluto?
- Who is it for?
- How does it work?
- Policy details
What is Pluto?
Pluto are a new travel insurance provider that launched early 2019. Their aim is to make travel insurance as easy as can be. Often policy wording can be complicated and hard to understand. And when you try to make a claim, it can feel like companies do everything in their power to not pay out.
Pluto is here to ruffle some feathers in the travel insurance industry! Providing hassle-free insurance and using consumer-friendly terminology, Pluto make it easier for you to understand what you are actually getting with your travel insurance policy.
Who is it for?
Pluto travel insurance is aimed at people aged between 18 and 46. This is because they’re super focused on a slightly younger audience, which means the level of cover and pricing is better for people under 46.
At the moment Pluto do not offer insurance to people with a pre-existing medical condition or those who live outside the UK. This is likely to change in the future as Pluto are aiming to be as inclusive as possible, so keep checking their website for updates.
How does it work?
Pluto’s aim is to make buying travel insurance as seamless as possible and that’s why you can get a quote in as little as 30 seconds! I have tried it and it really is super quick (see my video below).
To get a quote you simply go to their website and click ‘get a quote in 30 seconds’. You can choose between two options: getting a quick quote in 30 seconds or spend a bit longer (approx. 3 minutes) getting a tailored quote. You then just follow their trail: single trip or annual policy, part of the world you are going to, any extras (ski, gadget, business etc.) and you’re good to go! I honestly haven’t found any other insurance provider where it is so easy getting a quote.
If you are ready to book you can simply proceed and make payment for your policy. The policy wording can be emailed to you which is handy to keep on hand when you are travelling and need some information.
Pluto are backed by insurance giant, Zurich. This has given me a huge amount of confidence that the policy will be there if the worst happens when abroad. Getting the benefits of a well-established outfit like Zurich with the millennial startup interface of Pluto, this is the way to buy your travel insurance.
You will be able to see your specific policy terms when you go through the buying journey. One standout figure is the £10m medical cover as standard. Medical bills abroad can quickly add up and funding treatment will be one headache you could do without!
Ski and adventure holiday insurance
Pluto have an option where you can add a special type of insurance to your policy. For example, you can choose to add winter sports or adventure sports cover (or both!) to your policy. Handy for the active holiday makers! It’s best to check their website to make sure you understand what is included.
Business travel insurance
You can choose to add extra cover if you are travelling for business. This includes trips where you are attending a conference as a speaker/participant, you are leading/attending company training or you are running a workshop as a freelancer. Of course it includes basic travel insurance, but adds cover for business owned devices.
We understand that it is always helpful to look at reviews before you purchase something. Whether it’s an item, service or accommodation, we would always recommend reading some reviews before you go ahead!
Pluto travel insurance is rated 99% excellent on Trustpilot (and the remaining 1% is ‘great’)! They are prized on their friendly and helpful customer service as well as their ease of use. Those who have had to make a claim whilst they were on holiday were also very happy with the way Pluto processed and resolved this.